The Hi Hi’s faced two tough Premier Division challenges at Millfield last week in the shape of league leaders Broxburn Athletic and high flying county rivals Musselburgh Athletic. First up was Broxburn Athletic last Wednesday when a crowd of 249 were in attendance to see a hard fought match. The Hi Hi’s fully matched the West Lothian side and were unfortunate to lose out by a solitary goal. The goal arrived in the 20th minute when Corey Roberston lost possession at the corner flag and the visitors worked the ball into a good position and goalkeeper McLellan was beaten by a well placed shot. Minutes later skipper Auriemma missed a great chance to equalise when he blasted over from a few yards out following great work on the right by Guy McGarry.

The home side completely dominated the second half but couldn’t find the elusive equaliser. Two good penalty claims were dismissed and then the referee was completely duped by a Broxburn player following a ball winning tackle by Seamus Russell. The match official quickly produced a red card for what appeared to be a strong, but fair challenge. Despite going a man down, the home side continued to push forward but failed to beat the visiting goalkeeper.

Despite the efforts of Storm Babet, the Millfield pitch was in good condition for the visit of county rivals Musselburgh Athletic last Saturday. Burgh made a lively start forcing a number of corners which were dealt with by the home defence. The Hi hi’s with Arran Ponton and young Robbie Peffers in midfield, gradually played their way into the match. Both Gary Windram and Arran Ponton came close as the home side looked to break the deadlock. The best chance of the half came when Burgh goalkeeper Laing blocked a point blank effort from Peffers – a big opportunity.

The game was halted at the start of the second half when young visiting supporters let off flares behind Dale Cornet’s goal as Musselburgh prepared to take a free kick. When visibility returned the home defence were caught cold and Todd headed in the opener. Haddington hit back eight minutes later when Auriemma beat Laing from close range. It looked as though the match would end in a draw but Evans pounced on a loose ball following O’Kane’s long range effort and Burgh took all three points.  Another bitter pill for the Hi Hi’s following two good performances only lacking a cutting edge.