Haddington faced a tough test in the second round of the League Cup when they entertained fellow Premier League side, Lothian Thistle HV, at Millfield last Saturday. These sides had met at the same venue in February with the home side winning by five goals to one and missing two penalties! However since then LTHV had posted an impressive 5-1 win themselves at Broxburn so nothing was being taken for granted. The visitors listed an experienced line up but Haddington manager Scott Bonar was missing both Seamus Russell and guy McGarry through injury. This meant a start for former Kilmarnock youngster Keir Russell, who featured in midfield.

The match was mainly played in poor conditions with an east coast breeze bringing in rain for most of the game. LTHV had the better of the opening exchanges with home ‘keeper McLellan pulling off a good save to his right, to keep the scores level.The home side enjoyed a spell on the ascendancy and Joe Tait should have done better with a close range header. The match flared up on the hour mark when LTHV were reduced to ten men when one of their defenders was guilty of a knee high challenge on home skipper Auriemma. Both sides made changes in an effort to break the deadlock and home substitute Robbie Peffers came close to breaking the deadlock in the closing stages of normal time. In fact it was Peffers who was brought down in the box in the first period of extra time to earn his side a penalty kick, which Dylan Tait comfortably netted. In the next minute good play by Corey Robertson provided Tait with another chance which he converted from six yards out. This put the game beyond LTHV and Haddington saw the game out with Dylan Tait completing his extra time hat trick with a well placed shot that eluded goalkeeper Renton.

Haddington’s reward is a tricky tie in Fife on April 22nd when they will play Lochore Welfare at Crosshill. Lochore maybe involved in the First Division relegation battle but they easily beat Second Division Dalkeith Thistle by five goals to one at Kings Park last Saturday and a few weeks ago a late goal in extra time saw them beat Dunbar United in the previous round of this competition.