You would have to go back over 20 years to find a Haddington victory over Penicuik Athletic in a competitive encounter, but the the current squad showed a lot of determination and skill to overcome their Midlothian opponents in an East of Scotland Premier Division match at Millfield last Saturday. Overnight frost had necessitated a morning inspection but fortunately the game was given the go ahead. When the sides met at Penicuik in November the Hi Hi’s were disappointed to only come away with a point after a dominant performance. However it was a much changed Penicuik side that lined up at Millfield and they held the upper hand for much of the opening half. The home side hadn’t played since mid December and they looked a bit off the pace in these opening stages. Having said that the home side created as many chances as their opponents and Guy McGarry, Robbie Peffers and Joe Tait passed up good openings. Home ‘keeper Campbell McLellan had several routine saves but an early save from a point blank header kept the scores level. Penicuik broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute when a pass from Lucas McGarry was intercepted and the visitors, with a numerical advantage, scored from close range. The Hi Hi’s responded with a tremendous goal which involved no fewer than six home players. Goalkeeper McLellan started the move with Ross King, Guy McGarry, Gary Windram, Robbie Peffers and Aaron Ponton all involved without a single Penicuik player getting a touch. The move ended with Ponton working the ball back to Windram who netted with a well placed shot.

The Hi Hi’s were a different team in the second half and came out fighting, dominating most of the action. Lucas McGarry had a header cleared off the line as the Hi Hi’s pushed forward, but it was his brother Guy who put his side ahead with a spectacular individual goal on the hour mark. Picking up a loose ball on the right he cut inside, evading two opponents, before beating the Penicuik goalkeeper all ends up with a powerful left foot shot into the roof of the net. The home side had their tails up now and both Windram and Tait came close as they tried to extend the lead. The third goal arrived from the penalty spot awarded after Robbie Peffers was hauled to the ground in the box. He picked himself up and scored with the spot kick.

After an indifferent first half, Haddington ran out deserved winners and the three points means that they are only five points off second place.