In a match that had  a lot of similarities with the King Cup victory over Glenrothes back in December, Haddington overcame Premier League Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts in the fourth round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup at Millfield last Saturday. Their reward for a battling win in extra time is a place in the quarter finals where some big names await as the competition includes both Lowland League and East of Scotland clubs.

Unlike the Glenrothes cup tie, manager Scott Bonar was without no fewer than six players for a variety of reasons, and he made a number of changes with Mark Shiels, Aaron Congalton and Ano Subasic featuring in the starting line up and all three found the back of the net! Despite some grim weather almost 200 fans turned up to watch what proved to be an entertaining cup tie. The Hi Hi’s started well but they were stunned in the 6th minute when Swifts scored in their first attack. Robbie Stirling touched a well hit shot onto the post as the visitors looked to double their advantage. But the home bounced back and some enterprising play from Corey Robertson created a chance for Mark Shiels and he found the net with a well placed shot. Dale Cornet replaced Robbie Stirling at the interval and he was soon in action as Swifts had the wind behind them. The home defence defended a number of corners but the pressure eventually told when Morris beat Cornet from close range. Manager Bonnar sent on Auriemma and McGarry for the last twenty minutes and the home side picked up the pace. They were rewarded minutes from time when Subasic scored from close range to take the tie into extra time. Only minutes into the first period and the Hi Hi’s were ahead for the first time. Great play from McGarry on the left set up Subasic who saw his effort saved but Congalton was first to the loose ball and slammed the ball into the roof of the net. Euan Watson clinched a quarter final place in the second period when he netted with a well placed shot, a just reward for his efforts.