The Hi Hi’s were in King Cup action at Millfield last Saturday. Having squeezed past Easthouses Lily on penalties back in July, their second round match against Conference B leaders, Glenrothes, was expected to be another tight game and so it proved. With the weather a lot better than the previous week a crowd of over 220 turned up to be entertained and they certainly got their moneys worth.

Manager Scott Bonar was without Cornet, Russell and Jones but was able to bring back Ali Simpson and Euan Watson into the starting line up. The home side had the better of the early chances with McGarry coming close, but it was the visitors who took the lead in the 24th minute when Cammy Watson was penalised for an aerial challenge in the box and Walker netted from the penalty spot. The loss of this goal rocked the home side but they hit back and Congalton burst clear only to see the Glenrothes goalkeeper pull off a good save. It was turning out to be a feisty affair and the referee had a few Haddington names in his book as the visitors appeared to go down at every opportunity.

There was little in it after the break but Haddington were handed an opportunity when the visitors were reduced to 10 men in the 68th minute with Smart picking up a second booking. The numbers were soon level when Hill collected a second yellow card. A late challenge in the Glenrothes box saw the home side awarded a penalty and substitute Gordon Harris equalised from the spot. The Hi Hi’s pushed forward looking for a winner and they were punished minutes later when Glenrothes broke away and Fraser beat Stirling from close range. The last ten minutes was played in the visitors half as the Hi Hi’s tried to force extra time. With the clock showing 91 minutes played the Glenrothes defence failed to cut out a left wing cross and there was left back Ross King showing admirable composure in controlling the ball and firing it into the roof of the net. The Hi Hi’s took the lead for the first time in the tie when a long range effort found the net in the 100th minute. There was a scare for Haddington almost immediately after, when the impressive Bell rattled Stirling’s post with a well hit shot. Guy McGarry increased the Hi Hi’s lead two minutes into the second period of extra time when he dispossessed a Glenrothes defender and scored with a low drive. The same player missed another good opportunity as the home side ran down the clock. Once again not the best performance from the Hi Hi’s but they showed great fighting spirit and found a way to win. The draw for the last 16 of the #~king Cup has still to be made.